If you have ever looked at buying a wireless charger for your Galaxy S4 then you know that they are pretty expensive. They normally cost about $80-$90. Why pay that much when you can do it yourself? I’m going to show you an easy way to do exactly that.
First there are a few things you will need before you get started:
- Palm Pixi Touchstone back cover
- Palm Pre charging cable
- Palm Touchstone charging dock
- Copper tape (2 pieces 2 1/4 in. long, 2 pieces 3/4 in. long)
- Thin knife
- Tape (clear or similar)
- Sticky note or small piece of paper
- Multimeter (optional)
So let’s get started, I will post mostly pictures and explain what and how to do it in the picture/video.
This is the Galaxy S4 and the Palm Pixi case. Once we are done you will be able to charge your Galaxy S4 on charger the same way that the Pixi case is sitting on the charger.
1. The first step of this
Frankenstein mod is to remove the white plastic cover. You should be able to peel it up with your fingernail or thin knife. **Be careful when peeling the white cover off the components behind it may try to come off with it.** Set that aside you may want it later.
2. Next remove the
rib cage metal sheet, again be careful not to rip it or pull to fast. Set this aside, you will need this later.
3. Now grab your knife and rip the corpse’s guts out gently pry under the circuit board until it pops up. Then gently pry under the
corpse’s backbone copper coil, it has a lot of glue on it so it may take some extra effort.
4. Now, take your knife and remove the
limbs 4 magnets. The limbs magnets are secured in there really well so they will take more effort to remove.
All of the Palm Pixi
limbs/guts parts removed, ready for the Frankenstein mod 🙂
Tools/parts needed to make it come ALIVE!
5. Remove your
Frankenstein’s Galaxy S4 rib cage back cover.
This where will connect the
Tesla Coils Copper tape. This
6. Fold the ribbon of Palm Pixi just as I have in the picture. If you need help folding it, refer to the video I show exactly how to.
7. Position the
corpse’s Palm pixi’s guts circuit and coil on the Frankenstein’s Galaxy S4’s body cavity backplate as shown. (try to center with the camera hole)
8. Take the metal sheet and place it over the coil leaving about 1/4 of the coil exposed at the top. Grab your template that you made on the sticky note and position your magnets.
stitch tape the guts/limbs components in place.
10. Take the paper off all four pieces of copper tape and fold one end over itself about 1/8 in. (example in the video)
11. Place the 2 1/4 in. pieces of copper tape on the backplate as seen, with the folded end touching the ribbon contact.
12. Grab your 3/4 in. pieces of copper tape and place them on the Galaxy S4 body as demonstrated below.
13. Get a pen and press the copper tape onto the contacts. Not to hard though, you don’t want to damage the contacts.
This is about how everything should look before you snap the backplate back on. At this point, if you like you can put the white over the magnets and coil to clean the look up. I left it just the way it is.
14. This step is optional, it requires a multimeter. If you have one, place the backplate on the plugged in touchstone charger. Put your leads on the 2 contacts on the backplate and it should read at least 5.5 volts. This means it is
15. Replace the backplate, it should snap on easily with no problems. Now place it on the charger and you should get a pop-up message saying that you have placed your Galaxy S4 on a wireless charger. It’s ALIVE!!
I hope you enjoyed this post, please let me know what you think of it in the comment section. If you have any problems, first I would suggest to check the contact points on your copper tape and reposition as needed. If you have any further problems please let me know in the comments.